11 Sisters-of-the-bride outfit styles you will love this wedding season

by Namrata Nautiyal
22 comments
Sisters bride outfit styles

If you are a sister of a bride-to-be, congratulations! You are the third most important person in the wedding. Why? Because after looking at the bride & groom, all eyes go on to sisters. They are the ones who really set the tone of the wedding. Be it theirs bubbliness, or their thumkas during the wedding dances…they are the real deal.

If you are a sister of a bride-to-be, you know you are the important one who is next in line. All eyes are on you and this is equally your day to look as fabulous as you can be. Second only to the bride herself. No wonder, you really have to sit through and think what look you’re going to go for – from the wedding day, reception outfit, sangeet & mehendi outfit & cocktail night if at all. Its crazy amount of pressure but I am here to help you ease out on the decision making.

Take a look at some of the latest trends this season.

#1 Crop Top Skirt Lehenga

I love both the styles. While the first one can easily be worn even on the main wedding day, the second one with the mint blue poofy skirt can be worn during Mehendi or Sangeet function. Accessorize heavily and you will make for one stunning fairy sister of the bride.

If you don’t want to spend a lot of money buying designer wear, a good idea is to dig deep into your mothers or grandmothers closet, and take out a set of two sarees, which they don’t wear anymore. Probably a kanjeevaram or banarasi will work best. Use the pallu design for the crop top, and the border on the skirt bottom. You can just give it to a tailor they can easily do it for you. Team it up with a nice sheer dupatta with a blingy border, and voila you have a sister-of-the-bride first outfit !

#2 Off beat colored Lehengas

Sisters bride outfit styles

Personally, I love dark colored lehengas as much as the bright ones. But given that its an Indian Wedding, there are certain ifs and buts when it comes to black. Not everyone is comfortable with a bride wearing a dark color and even though the society is moving forward, you still have people who will raise an eye if you choose this color.

But if you’re a sister-of-the-bride, all’s forgiven. You can do anything you want and that means you can go for offbeat colors such as dark browns, purple, bottle green and even black. Guaranteed you will stand out in the crowd and the color itself makes for a stunning choice.

Make sure you don’t choose these color shades for a morning function. You can opt for these as your Reception Outfits.

#3 Anarkali Lehenga (Laacha)Sisters bride outfit styles

I love this style. Not only does it look good on any and every body type, height…its a tried and tested wedding outfit options. You can pretty much dress it up or down depending upon your importance in the wedding.

The interesting thing to note in this style is that, if your budget is somewhere lower than what a decent lehenga might cost, then go for this option. For some reason, an anarkali lehenga (laccha) costs much lower than a lehenga for the same design. Which means you can get a heavier look for lesser price. Do give it a try.

#4 Cape Style Lehengas

Sisters bride outfit styles

What I love about the cape style is that you can style the cape in multiple ways. From off shoulders to sheer waist down capes, you have tons of options to go for. Depending upon your style, choose what looks best on you. This is one trend this season which is here to stay.

You can easily wear one of these cape styled lehengas for sangeet-mehendi function. If you’re going for a heavier look one, you can also wear this style during the pheras.

#5 Cold Shoulder Lehenga

Sisters bride outfit styles

Cold Shoulder teamed with cape style dupatta. Can it get any more dramatic or gorgeous? Absolutely not. I have been refering back to this look since the time I laid eyes upon it during the LFW Winter/Festive 2016. Its such a stunning outfit you guys, a sister-of-the-bride is no less than a showstopper herself, and this outfit does total justice I think. What say?

#6 Floor Length Anarkali Gowns

Sisters bride outfit styles

Depending upon the color, fabric and the amount of bling you choose, you can easily wear this indo-fusion wear outfit for either a day function or for a sangeet night dance function. This outfit is an absolute no hassle uber comfortable sister-of-the-bride look to go for. Its super easy to run around wearing one of these and you can do all your wedding related duties and have fun at the same time !

#7 Bright/Neon colored Lehengas

Sisters bride outfit styles

Bright neon colors always pop…and if you team it up with a bit of bling, you are good to go.  Even if you go for a solid one color tone lehenga with just a contrasting border…it looks really good. So you don’t really have to spend a lot lot to get one of these outfits. Just go out there search for something eye popping, and buy some chunky latkans and a heavy border and stitch it up.

#8 Pastel color Lehengas

Sister bride outfit ideas

I don’t know about you but for me Anushree Reddy lehengas are quintessentially sister-of-the-bride look. At least the pastel shaded ones. Sure, brides are wearing them as their wedding outfits too, but somehow they look more fun and radiant when someone who is free and jumping around the entire wedding place wears it. Basically a sister-of-the-bride.

#9 Princess like Gowns

Sister bride outfit ideas

Why wait until your wedding day to wear something so fairy like stunning. A sisters wedding is the perfect occasion to make use of one of these princess like gowns for the reception night party or cocktail night. Guaranteed you will be dazzling all night long.

#10 Shararas

A little inspiration from across the border. The sharara look has been here for a long time, and it looks super cute every time you see it.

#11 Long Jacket Lehenga Style

This style is similar to the laacha and is all the rage this season. I love these outfits purely for the reason of re-usability. You can easily use this outfit for your best friends wedding, or even to one of the smaller functions at your wedding !

You may also like

22 comments

Richa October 19, 2016 - 10:19 pm

Loved your blog and the inputs

Vinny December 23, 2016 - 9:07 pm

Plz tell me hw 2 buy nd prize

Manan kaur January 19, 2017 - 12:09 pm

What r the way to order these pieces if interested pls help?

Frugal2Fab January 19, 2017 - 12:25 pm

Hi Manan, I can redirect you to the concerned designers for the outfits you like. We at Frugal2Fab do not manufacture or sell outfits 🙂

Mehulee January 24, 2017 - 5:42 pm

Please tell me where to find these lehengas in Kolkata

Jyoti February 25, 2017 - 12:58 am

Really loved Ur blog.. things have changed a lot since I got married ( a decade ago).. there were no blogs like this… Thanks to Google Devta… I m looking for a heavy anarkali dress for my bil’s wedding..Liked the blue dress in anarkali lancha.. Help. From where to get that…. And please suggest more options … And shops to look out for ( Delhi).. thanks a lot dear

Frugal2Fab February 25, 2017 - 9:48 am

Hi Jyoti,
I am glad to hear you liked my blog. Anarkalis are always a little tricky because no matter which store you go people charge crazy amounts. The first copies either look cheap at a high price, or they are just ridiculously expensive (above 10k). There are a few shops in Lajpat which keep heavy sequins anarkali lehengas in the price range of (8-15k). But I would suggest if you have a local designer or tailor who is good then buy the raw material fabrics and get it stitched. It will cost you around 5k at max, and you will have a really heavy looking outfit.

Lajpat is the best place to get both readymade and fabrics. The lane opposite the police station where the metro work is going on, has a lot of stores lined. Ask around for the dupatta store, they keep some super heavy dupatta fabrics as well.

Shilpa May 3, 2017 - 6:06 pm

Please let us know whom should we contact for princess like dresses in pune

Namrata Nautiyal May 4, 2017 - 12:16 pm

Hi Shilpa,
Check out the outfits of designer Mithali Tathed She might be having custom gowns the way you like.

Zeba bakshi June 7, 2017 - 6:29 pm

Mam can u help me to get to your store mam plz help me we would be very thankful to u to do so
Can u help me to know the price

Namrata Nautiyal July 13, 2017 - 10:19 am

Hi Zeba,
I don’t have a store, but if you tell me the range in which you’re looking for lehengas, I can help you with some store and designer labels.

Dhara August 8, 2017 - 6:45 pm

Hey .. luv ur blog ..can uh tell me from where should I buy my wedding lehnga ? My budget is 40000… I want to buy it from Mumbai and it would be great if I could get some store who can customize my lehnga as per my choice clr and work..plz help me wid this

Namrata Nautiyal August 15, 2017 - 7:05 pm

Hi Dhara,
I am glad you liked the blog. 40k is a good budget. I am not so sure about Ahmedabad, but in Mumbai you can check out the stores on SV Road, Santa Cruz. There are a lot of bridal shops which sell budget lehengas. You can check out more details in this post here and here.

Normally, high end designers are open about customizations. If you are visiting any retail stores, they may have limited choice for customizations. In that case, you can probably check out some boutique designers, but they might just rob you crazy for minimal changes.

Vidhi September 3, 2017 - 12:48 pm

Please let me know who the designers are

Namrata Nautiyal September 21, 2017 - 11:00 am

They are all different designers for every outfit. Which outfit are you interested in?

Sona October 22, 2017 - 3:25 pm

Hello mam!!
I liked the 7th one of bright yellow neon colored lehanga…

Can i know,where i may get it from n wat will be the cost ?

Sobia January 15, 2018 - 9:42 pm

Hi where can I buy the blue Anarkali lacha lengha from how much is it for in U.K. pounds

Ria January 19, 2018 - 6:11 pm

Loved ur blog..each lehengas looks r so royal..
Can u plz tell me whr can i buy these type in bangalore.
Plzz..

Arbina February 12, 2018 - 1:34 pm

I loved the long jackek pink lehenga pls let me know how can i buy it and the pricesss too u guys are awesome

Simmi February 28, 2018 - 11:20 pm

Hi I absolutely loved your choice of dresses, its amazing! Can you please share the store name or website from where I can buy Floor length anarkali gown golden glitter colored (where the woman is standing with a guy). You can save my marriage engagement dress worries…please!

Aaditya Arya December 20, 2018 - 2:44 pm

nice article about bride outfit style

Chavi April 6, 2019 - 3:12 pm